Tuesday 23 July 2013

The modern day Straw that Broke the Camel's Back...

...alternatively entitled: The Massive Wardrobe that Broke Maj C's Goodwill.

Title pretty much says it all. I was tipped off about a lovely wardrobe for sale here I'm Oakham. And lovely it was, and such a bargain (kind of, but for the purposes of ensuring my decision to buy was right) -a complete and utter bargain! So I waited for Maj C to return home, he's been away with work, and I explained about the bargain that was waiting for collection. He rolled his eyes, but as he has been away his defences were low so he agreed,

In order to secure a swift collection of said wardrobe I dutifully found out the whereabouts of said wardrobe. "Obviously", I hear you say, obviously to collect something you need to have the address. Well, it may be obvious to you all, but last time I asked Maj C to collect something for me I forgot the address. Well I didn't forget it, I thought I had it but I didn't-just a postcode and several other snippets of information. The sellers were moving: easy I thought, just go to the house with for sale sign on-ummm there were 9 in total on the road-none of them had the chest of drawers I was trying to buy. Then I thought I would select (from the 114 houses on the road) a house that looked like its occupants had a chest of drawers which they wanted to sell because they were moving...it was a relatively unsuccessful hunt and culminated in us having to return to town to get phone reception to find the house number and by then she had gone out for the evening. Needless to say Maj C was less than impressed.

So, given the context he was unenthusiastic about my wardrobe collection. I knew it would be fine though. So off we went (with the Rascal in tow). I put the 2 seats in the back down and just in case (always best to be prepared) the roof rack-not that we would need it. Off we went-directly to the correct address, things were going well. We arrived and I could see the wardrobe, it was glorious, just as the picture had promised, a little bigger than I had thought it would be, but glorious none the less. Maj C didn't look as excited as I was, but I'm sure he was inside. The kind sellers had also split in in half for ease of transportation.

I don't think we need to go into the details of the next 40 minutes, but I am pleased to announce I remain happily married for another day...just. Instead of a long narrative, I will instead readers leave you with a couple of pics of my wardrobe and it may explain why Maj C will no longer ever collect furniture for me again. Ever.







No comments:

Post a Comment